The Victorian Local Governance Association is an independent (non-partisan) governance organisation supporting councils and councillors in achieving the highest standards of governance on behalf of their communities.
The VLGA is an independent governance organisation supporting councils and councillors. We provide opportunities for councillor networking, professional development and information exchange and we actively engage with key policymakers and broader stakeholders to inform, influence and lead the conversations that determine the priorities for the local government sector in Victoria and support good governance at the local level.
All councillors and staff at a VLGA Member Council are able to access the organisation’s programs and services.
Advocacy, Stakeholder Engagement & Policy
As a peak body for local government, the VLGA gives member councils a voice through regular meetings with key government departments, the Minister for Local Government, portfolio ministers and their advisors.
The VLGA is a consultative organisation with a strong focus on supporting our members and forming collaborative partnerships to deliver our programs. We embrace the opportunity to connect with councils and councillors from all parts of Victoria and beyond and work collaboratively with policy makers and integrity agencies whose work impacts upon the local government sector – such as IBAC, Local Government Victoria (LGV), the Municipal Inspectorate, the Victorian Auditor General, the Victorian Ombudsman and the VEC - and other peak bodies, such as LGPro Vic and the MAV, to deliver programs and services the focus on relevant and time critical matters before the sector.
VLGA members benefit from subsidised training, events, and policy analysis.
As a peak body for local government, the VLGA represents and advocates on behalf of its membership in a number of policy and stakeholder working groups including but not limited to:
- Local Government Act 2020 Project Control Board
- Department of Jobs & Regional Precincts (DJCS) COVID-19 Local Government Roundtable
- COVID-19 Response CEO Forum
- The Local Government Performance Reporting Framework (LGPRF) Steering Committee
- Commisioner for Environmental Sustainability's Reference Group
- Ministerial Gender Equality Advisory Committee
- Stakeholder Reference Group – Officers for the Protection of the Local Environment
- Rural and Regional Councils Sustainability Steering Group
- Essential Services Commission Engagement & Performance Technical Working Groups (Rate Capping)