The Victorian Local Governance Association is an independent organisation that supports councils, councillors and communities in good governance.
The VLGA is an independent organisation supporting councils and councillors in good governance. We provide opportunities for councillor networking, professional development and information exchange and we actively engage with key policymakers and broader stakeholders to inform, influence and lead the conversations that determine the priorities for the local government sector in Victoria.
All councillors and staff at a VLGA Member Council are able to access the organisation’s programs and services.
Advocacy, Stakeholder Engagement & Policy
As a peak body for local government, the VLGA gives member councils a voice through regular meetings with key government departments, the Minister for Local Government, portfolio ministers and their advisors.
The VLGA meets regularly with the Shadow Minister for Local Government, the Chief Municipal Inspector, the CEO of IBAC, the Victorian Auditor General and numerous stakeholders (including the MAV, LGPro and IPAA Vic), policy makers and regulators whose work impacts upon the local government sector.
As a peak body for local government, the VLGA represents and advocates on behalf of its membership in a number of policy and stakeholder working groups including:
- The Ministerial Council on Women’s Equality
- The Local Government Performance Reporting Framework (LGPRF) Steering Committee
- Stakeholder Reference Group – Officers for the Protection of the Local Environment
- The Local Government Gender Equity Working Group
- Rural and Regional Councils Sustainability Steering Group
- The Alliance for Gambling Reform
- The Ministerial Women’s Roundtable for Local Government
- Essential Services Commission Engagement & Performance Technical Working Groups (Rate Capping)
- Victorian Councils’ January 26 Network