Join the VLGA and be part of a strong team working towards good governance in the local government sector.
Your Community, Country & Council (YCCC) Project Lead
- Support, and lead as appropriate, the VLGA’s project, Your Community, Country & Council including project design, evaluation, stakeholder consultation, facilitation and acquittal.
- Evaluate the VLGA’s 2020 YCCC project through outreach and consultation with relevant stakeholders, participants and Steering Committee.
- Develop and deliver content that supports the participation of First Nations Victorians in local government, through employment or candidacy.
- Develop and maintain meaningful and productive working relationships with relevant stakeholder and community groups, established and emerging leaders, Elders and councillors.
- Work independently when required, and contribute effectively in a small, high-performing organisation.
The appointee will be required to demonstrate their strong connection to First Nations communities.
It is a prerequisite for this role to undertake travel with some overnight stays.
The position will drive the development and implementation of VLGA’s ‘Your Community, Country and Council’ project in line with the Victorian Government’s 2021/22 funding commitment. Continued employment beyond the 2021/22 funded position is contingent on further funding being received for 2022-2024. The position will support the VLGA’s commitment to reconciliation and encouraging participation of Aboriginal Victorians in local government elections.
The position will provide advice to the VLGA on strategies and programs for local governments and communities to advance the representation of First Nations people in local government and community leadership roles.
The position will report to the Chief of Staff according to the priorities and broad directions set by the VLGA Board and through the Strategic Plan 2018-2022.
The position will rely on a ‘field’ model to engage with metro, rural and regional First Nations people and local governments in Victoria, working closely with a number of key stakeholders.
It is essential that this project is delivered for and by Aboriginal Victorians to enable self-determination, meet community priorities and adequately address barriers to participation. Demonstrated connections and relationships with Aboriginal communities and organisations are a prerequisite of this position. First Nations candidates are strongly encouraged to apply and will receive favourable consideration.
The ideal candidate for this role will also be a self-starter, with office administration and project management expertise, situational ability to manage relationships and build rapport.
Applications close at 5:00PM, Wednesday 4 August 2021.
To apply for this role, please email your CV and a cover letter addressing key competencies to email@example.com.
The full position description is available here.