An initiative of the VLGA to increase participation by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples in local government decision making.
YCCC Steering Committee
Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Steering Committee which will inform the Your Community, Country & Council project over the next phase of its development. More information about the Steering Committee, including the EOI form and draft Terms of Reference may be found here.
Background to the project
The Minister for Local Government, Hon Shaun Leane MP has recently announced a grant of $50,000 from Local Government Victoria (Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions) to continue the important work of the VLGA's project, Your Community, Country & Council (YCCC) for the 2021-22 year.
This 12 month project will seek to evaluate the 2020 project and co-design a project plan and content for delivery ahead of the next local government elections in 2024.
Key elements of this project include:
- Employing an Project Lead with strong ties to First Nations communities who will see the project from scoping through to implementation;
- Establishing a YCCC Steering Committee (consisting of current Victorian First Nations councillors, representatives of the First Peoples' Assembly of Victoria and 2 other interested parties);
- Outreach to past and future participants of the program
- Development of workshop content
- Interest-building session
- Knowledge-building session
- Content review
- Project Plan for 2022-24
Further details of this project will be available on this page and through VLGA social media channels.
Your Community, Country & Council 2020
The project,Your Community, Country and Council (YCCC) was led by Charles Pakana of Connection Matters Radio in 2020 on behalf of the VLGA. The primary objective of the project was to encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to nominate as candidates in the October 2020 Victorian local government elections.
Watch recordings ofYour Community, Country and Council live forums:
- Your Community, Country & Council with Kathryn Arndt and Steve Cooper (VLGA)
- The Media & Social Media - Shahni Wellington (NITV journalist)
- Campaigning & Community Engagement - Georgia Cromarty (VEC)
Watch Your Community, Country and Council interviews:
- Cr Dominic WY Kanak, Waverley Council (NSW)
- Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, Hon Gabrielle Williams MP
- Steve Cooper, Civic Mind
- Dylan Clarke, Chair of Barenji Gadjin
To listen to the YCCC podcasts, click here.
For all the YCCC interviews go to VLGA YouTube
The YCCC logo above was commissioned from Little Rocket. The image is representative of the three pillars of YCCC, communicating care, connection and community. The shapes symbolise a combination of weaving, cultural practices and attachment to place.